Burlington Housing Authority Logo
Important Events Notices


What is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program?

Through our Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV), you can find a non-BHA-owned unit to rent in the community. If the landlord agrees to participate in the program, the rent is reasonable, and the apartment meets HUD Housing Quality Standards, BHA pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord. You pay the balance of the rent and utility costs. Most participants pay between 30 percent and not more than 40 percent of their income for rent and utilities.

Who is eligible?

Initial eligibility is based on your income. Income limits for Housing Choice Voucher Programs vary. Please see the program-specific income table.

Where do I apply?

Burlington Housing Authority
65 Main Street, Suite 101
Burlington, Vermont 05401 - 8408
tel: 802-864-0538 / fax: 802-658-1286
Monday - Friday / 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

You may download an application here or request one by phone and we will mail it to you. BHA staff are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the properties we manage or our Housing Choice Voucher Program. If possible, we ask you to return your application in person and review it with BHA staff.

What documents will I need to apply? 

Please bring social security cards or copies for all family members. 

Is there a Waiting List?

As there are a limited number of Housing Choice Vouchers available, most applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Our programs are not emergency housing programs. The wait for assistance can be five years or longer. The wait for a property can be two to four years.

Special Forms of Assistance:

In addition to the regular Section 8 Rental Assistance program, BHA offers a number of special programs for. These include:

Family Unification Program (FUP)
promotes family unification by providing rental assistance to families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in the separation, or threat of separation, of children from their families. To receive this form of assistance, the family must be referred to BHA, primarily through the Department of Children and Families (DCF).

Non-Elderly Disabled Program (NED) 
assists single, disabled individuals under age 62 or families in which the head of household or spouse is disabled and under age 62.

Project-Based Program Voucher (PBV)
 provides rental assistance attached to specific apartments in a number of the larger and newer affordable housing developments in the community.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)
vouchers are available to veterans when referred to BHA through the Veterans Administration (VA). These vouchers also ensure supportive services are provided by the VA in addition to rental assistance.

Continuum of Care (CoC)
grants provide rental assistance for participants who are receiving non-federally funded social services.

Applications can be picked up in person at our offices or printed from the link below. 



© Burlington Housing Authority | Website by mediasuite.ca