The Section 8 Choice Voucher Program is designed to provide you, the Landlord, with prompt monthly payments of all or a substantial portion of the monthly contract rent from BHA every month!
If your Section 8 renter loses their job, is injured, or can’t work for any reason, BHA still pays you. In fact, BHA might even pay you more to cover your loss of income, up to and including the full contract rent in some cases.
The funds are directly deposited to your bank account every month! A good deal for you, guaranteed, and a great deal for our community.
This program is available to Landlords whether you are renting a single or multi-family home, mobile homes, single-room occupancy, apartment buildings, group homes, or shared homes.
|HCV Program: Basics, Benefits, and Ways to Participate||Housing Choice Voucher Program: Landlord Testimonials|
|The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, commonly known|
as Section 8, is the federal government's major program for assisting low-income families, which may include elderly individuals or people with disabilities to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. This video explains the basics of the HCV program, some benefits, and how prospective landlords can participate.
Frequently Asked Questions For Landlords
How do I rent my unit to a Section 8 participant?
- Contact BHA Landlord Advocate Michael Albertson at 802 864-0538 x 267 or email@example.com so we can put you on the list of Eligible Landlord Participants. You can then schedule your FREE courtesy pre-inspection by the BHA inspection team to make sure your property qualifies. Inspections help you maintain and increase your property’s value and identify any issues at an early stage when repairs will be less costly. Results are reported only to you, the owner, and any tenant referrals we send you. Please note that the inspection is for BHA’s Quality Housing Standards only, not City of Burlington code enforcement, Vermont State Rental Code, National Electrical Code, National Fuel Burning Code, etc.
- We will alert eligible program participants that your property is available. Even if your property/unit is currently occupied, you can still get on the list of eligible properties. Once on the list, let us know when you have an upcoming vacancy, and we’ll start the process. Please note that the Section 8 Voucher program participants are responsible for locating their own units and will come to you once they are aware you have a vacant unit. Remember, we may send you applicants; YOU choose your tenants using your normal screening process. You are under no obligation to choose BHA referrals. YOUR PROPERTY, YOUR CHOICE!
How much rent may I charge?
The rent must be comparable to unassisted units in the area. BHA will review the rent you are proposing to ensure it is reasonable. If the rent is reasonable and the renter will be paying less than 40% of their adjusted income for rent and utilities, we will process the rent you request.
What Are BHA’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS)?
Once you and your prospective tenant have reached an agreement and completed some minimal paperwork, we will re-inspect your unit to make sure it meets our Housing Quality Standards. The HQS is set by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development and is designed to make sure the property is safe, habitable, and free of serious defects. Please note that the inspection is for BHA’s Quality Housing Standards only, not City of Burlington code enforcement, Vermont State Rental Code, National Electrical Code, National Fuel Burning Code, etc.
When the unit passes inspection and the paperwork is complete, we process the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract and begin sending monthly payments directly to you. Renters must pay their security deposits and the portion of the rent we determine to be their responsibility directly to you.
What are the benefits of working with the Section 8 program?
- Timely payments of monthly subsidies are made directly to you via direct deposit.
- Over 2,100 families participate in our program.
- Minimal paperwork, you may use your own lease. BHA will prepare all the paperwork HUD requires.
- Property inspections. BHA independently inspects the condition of your property to confirm it meets HUD Housing Quality Standards at no cost to you.
Who qualifies for Section 8 assistance?
Anyone who meets the income guidelines set by The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) qualifies for Section 8 assistance. Applicants must apply to the Burlington Housing Authority and be placed on the waiting list. BHA only determines eligibility for the program; we do not screen for rental history or suitability. Landlords should use their normal criteria and due diligence for screening Section 8 Voucher applicants, as you would any other renter. YOUR PROPERTY, YOUR CHOICE!
If you are a current landlord and would like to access monthly payment details, please click the link below.
Use of this portal requires an initial registration code. If you are new to the portal or have not received a registration code, please
contact us to receive one at firstname.lastname@example.org.